PDA

View Full Version : Candidates coming overseas

SALTY
12-08-2012, 08:34 AM
If I understand regulations correctly, a political candidate may not campaign overseas.

What do you think? Sould a Presidental candiate be allowed to campaign overseas on a US military base?
Are GI's being shortchanged if they are not able to see a candidate in person.

Greenbean
12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Not sure if it would make any difference if they were able to campaign overseas or not but maybe they can hand carry the votes back with them since it can not be done any other way.

djmac
12-08-2012, 11:03 PM
If I understand regulations correctly, a political candidate may not campaign overseas.

What do you think? Sould a Presidental candiate be allowed to campaign overseas on a US military base?

Besides being illegal, What benefit would a candidate get by campaigning overseas. Also it is illegal to accept donations from Foreign Countries. Unless you are Obama.

djmac
01-01-2013, 11:02 PM

Man I really mis-read your post. I know it is not legal to campaign in another Country. But a Military Post is sovereign US Country I believe, and I think a Presidential Candidate should be able to campaign on a Military Post in a Country that is not in a Theater of War i.e Afghanistan. for obvious reasons.

As a rule most enlisted vote Republican and Officers vote Dem. It is my guess it is this way because Officers have more to do with Bugets and Dempcrats are more likely to give them more money. That has been the rule in past administrations. Not sure how this Administration fits in.

jpassow
01-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Why can't any of our Congress men or women make a trip just to see what we do here in Europe? What are they afraid off? Traveling. That we will express our political thoughts to them. Look at the latest action? Where are the real leaders in Washington D.C.? Lead Follow or get out off the way.

djmac
01-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Why can't any of our Congress men or women make a trip just to see what we do here in Europe? What are they afraid off? Traveling. That we will express our political thoughts to them. Look at the latest action? Where are the real leaders in Washington D.C.? Lead Follow or get out off the way.

You are right about leaders. We no longer have any. They are all worried about covering their asses and keeping their jobs. As of Aug. 9th 1995 my last day in uniform the rule was..."When in Class A's, Class B's or BDU's off duty or on duty you are forbidden to participate in any political rally, campaigns or Conventions. You also can not display, show, participate or participate in anything that shows your political affiliation. If you notice that during a Presidential State of the Union Address all Military personnel do not applaud unless a statement is directed at the Military.

Most Senators, and Representatives visiting outside CONUS happen all the time. We hear about once in awhile when it is someone important but for most we do not hear anything about it. A suggestion if I may. Subscribe to the Army Times. They don't miss a beat. Good reading if you want to keep up with Changes in the US Army.