PDA

View Full Version : Big Red One

moy3rd
12-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Was at Wildflecken in 1962 on Operation Long Thrust IV with A,2nd BG ,12th Inf. Regt.. Spent 3 months there before going to W. Berlin to re-enforce the Berlin Brigade.

Returned to Wildflecken on a later Operation Longthrust mission with E & then B Companies of the 1st Bn 1/16th Inf. Regt.

Spent all 7 months there on that mission.

djmac
12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Was at Wildflecken in 1962 on Operation Long Thrust IV with A,2nd BG ,12th Inf. Regt. on Operation
Long Thrust IV. Spent 3 months there before going to W. Berlin to re-enforce the Berlin Brigade.

Returned to Wildflecken on a later Operation Longthrust mission with E & B Companies of the 1st Bn 1/16th Inf. Regt.

Spent 7 months there.

Welcome Back Moy. Glad to see you log ln. So... what do you think of the Site? We just opened the doors, old members are trickling back. It's gonna get busy around here. :)

Mac

Longwalker
12-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I was with B Co, 3rd BG, Sixth Infantry - the Berlin Brigade. We would go to Wildfleken every summer for the Company & BG tests. My first year at Wildflecken was August 1962. The Brigade would send 1/3 of the units at a time for the tests. It was just "bad luck" that my company was in Wildflecken not Berlin when the wall went up. We expected immediate orders to combat load and return to Berlin but the politicians decided to sent the first of many support BG's from the "Bloody One" to Berlin instead. Wildflecked was a good training area especially for live fire company size exercises and I enjoyed my three trips. Of course, I made friends at Wildflecken not only with the American troops but with the Bundesweir[sic]. Traded some Soviet insignia (don't ask how I got it) for a German camouflage jacket. We would make a company visit to that nearby monastery to sample their beirs & wines as well as their wursts and cheeses.

moy3rd
12-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Mac,

The site looks great. I was totally offline on several occasions for extended periods of time due to computer crashes. One was caused by the dreaded "blue screen" virus that destroyed my machine.

Back now with a brand new up to date computer .

Charlie Moy

moy3rd
12-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Longwalker,

I was in W. Berlin during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 with A,2/12TH of the Big Red One.
Enjoyed my time there so much that I transferred to the 1/16TH of the BRO to go back again . Lots of girls & partying ,my kind of gig!

NEVER VOLUNTEER...We stayed in Wildflecken the entire 7 months & never went to W. Berlin...lol. That was 1963 & we were put on full alert again , but this time it was because President Kennedy was killed.

Charlie Moy

Hines495
01-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Mac,

The site looks great. I was totally offline on several occasions for extended periods of time due to computer crashes. One was caused by the dreaded "blue screen" virus that destroyed my machine.

Back now with a brand new up to date computer .

Charlie Moy
Charles, I served with you in Company A, weapons platoon, before I transferred to Hdq Co at Fort Riley. Bobby Hines, hope you remember me and the 106 recoiless rifles. Lol

Hines495
01-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Charlie Moy, if you are back on here, shoot me an email:
Hineshines@comcast.net
Bobby Hines from A Company, 2nd BG, 12th Inf, Ft Riley, 1962